« Home | La Madaleine »

Countdown to Memoirs...

I hope you're not experiencing that old high school or college sensation...pressed for time to finish reading this month's book club selection Memoirs of a Geisha.

(I may have confessed to a few of you that I don't recall ever reading any of those mandatory classics back in high school...though it is entirely probable that the pressure and stress of the deadline may have obscured any enjoyment or memory of those books altogether--please don't let this happen to you in this club. Join us even if you're trudging through it but not quite finished--many of the discussion topics require first and foremost your opinion rather than a thorough reading. However, I can't guarantee we won't spoil the ending for you.)

To make matters more pressure-packed, the "deadline" is moved up by a few days if you're interested in catching the movie in advance of our meeting next week. Memoirs is playing at Fiesta 16 and it would be great if we could organize a group watch sometime in the next few days...Thursday evening or Sunday afternoon. Please email or post your availability and interest in watching the movie together. A discussion of the movie would be an interesting twist on the traditional book club format at our next meeting on January 11th.

If it makes you feel better, I was overwhelmed with work and holiday pressures but managed to s q u e e z e the book in here and there--imagine my surprise when I read it in an amazing four days. Guess you can say it hooked me! So, I am looking forward to not only watching the movie but discussing the book with the rest of you.

Hey Veronica,

thanks for organizing the outing sunday evening sounds great.
Bijal

Veronica and fellow brunettes,

Sunday afternoon works best for me. I can't wait to see the movie!

Becky

Hey All,

I apparently posted under the wrong discussion topic...but in a nutshell I said either day worked for me but Sunday afternoon would be better. Possibly the 3pm or 4pm movie??

What are you all doing up so early????? Sunday will most likely work for me. Of course, I need to check with my little golfer...I will let you know today.
Jill

Seeing that it's Thursday evening, and according to the handful of responses that I've received, it looks like we're probably going to the movies on Sunday (late afternoon)!

PS, I thought you were all early risers, as well. But, I did a little math in my head and I think the times posted are Pacific. I'll have to figure out how to change that.

Post a Comment

Previous posts

Upcoming Books

Upcoming Wednesday Gatherings

  • June 13th hosted by Summer
  • July 11th hosted by Vivian
  • Aug 8th hosted by Patricia

Previous Books 2007

  • JANUARY: The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards
  • FEBRUARY: March by Geraldine Brooks
  • MARCH: Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe: A Novel by Fannie Flagg
  • APRIL: A Simple Plan by Scott Smith
  • MAY: The Thirteenth Tale: A Novel by Diane Setterfield

Previous Books 2006